Monday, August 29, 2011

New work!

I have had an exciting few weeks. Experimenting with new mediums and techniques.  I attended a fantastic encaustic workshop at R&F Paints in Kingston, NY taught by very talented Lorraine Glessner.  Check her work out here www.lorraineglessner.net  Since retuning from the work shop I have been very excited to explore the encaustic medium. I have been using objects, materials and techniques that are traditionally thought of as part of the domestic sphere. Such as irons, wall stencils, fabric patterns, lace, embroidery thread & sewing transfer paper in my work. Here are two recent works, mind you these are still in the early stages.


3 comments:

  1. I think you may have found that "non-clay" niche! They look very promising. What concept are you going for? I also see patterning which is also used in your clay, but I appreciate the subtlety of this new work there are more surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robin,
    I have been focusing on the domestic realm, looking at women's roles in our society and how they have/ have not changed in the last 40 years. I have been using materials and tools that are associated with the feminine. Like irons, stencils, embroidery floss, sewing patterns etc. Also I'm using patterning and techniques that would be considered "craft". I have really been enjoying it and feel I am making great strides with my work.
    I was checking out you plates and I think they are fantastic. I can't wait to see them in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really nice! I wonder if you could get this effect in 3-D and clay.

    ReplyDelete