Monday, July 16, 2012

Shirts!

First two forms

Form inspired by my father's Naval service
Warrior form

The four "shirts" together

During a bit of cleaning I found a box of old clothing patterns that I've collected from the 1970's and 80's. I have wanted to incorporate these into my work for a while but had not found a way until now.  I chose to work with a child's shirt pattern from a 1970's outfit.  I made a scaled down version of the pattern to create a simple shirt form. I then added details such as collars, pockets, buttons, military service ribbons, rank insignia and armor. I wanted to give each one it's own personality and animation to the form. So far I'm up to four "shirts" and plan to keep going, eventually making some life size ones. These images are of the unfired, unglazed pieces. I am still working on how to finish them, if I want to glaze them or paint them or what but I'm not worried I'm sure it'll come to me. I plan to explore other patterns and forms such as jumpers, dresses, blouses and pants and see where it leads. This is not what I had planned from my first project after returning from the residency but I am just going to go with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment