Saturday, March 23, 2013

Honing In

Black and White platter, drying stage

Carving on what will be "Blue & White" platter

"Blue and White" Platter drying stage

Through my ceramic forms I exploit the juxtaposition of US service women in combat with the domestic and decorative nature of heirloom tableware. In years past, material denoted an object’s place as art or craft just as gender dictated a woman’s role in society but now gender does not determine one’s place in domesticity or defense.
  
 These are just a few of the platters I am currently working on. What you see here is just the beginning of my exploration of surface decoration techniques and historic platter forms.  These pictured here are in various stages of completion. I will post more as these progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment