Saturday, February 11, 2012

This, that and the other thing



This is what I've been working on this week. I started with a sculptural piece(middle image) then moved to drawing(bottom image) then finally brought multiple elements together in the wall piece (top image). My materials and process have been a bit scattered so far this semester. I am going to trust myself and continue working this way in the hope that it will all come together at some point into a  cohesive body of work. I have a few concepts and ideas that I am working through. They are all related in some fashion but not linear more like they spiral out from a central point. Some are very concrete while others are elusively ephemeral, they come and go like mist.
On  another note I am waiting for the weather to warm up a bit more so I can get back out to my barn and try my ideas out in clay. I envision large ceramic forms but not sure how that will turn out. Also I was checking out Steve Tobin's work.  He blows up clay to make his vessels. It is a very cool process and I'm going to give it a go, I just got to find a store that sells fireworks in VT!

Great video showing Steve Tobin blowing up pots:
http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/arts/museums/mc-steve-tobin-moravian-20120128,0,981949.story

No comments:

Post a Comment